Nathan's overnight was uneventful. He and I shared a lovely crib (that he hasn't left since we arrived) and got a great night's rest. Just kidding....about the great sleep! We did share the crib though. I knew my short stature would come in handy someday! :)
| drinking some milk at 4:45 a.m. |
Stephen was back at home making sure Benjamin's life was disrupted as little as possible while Nate and I handled hospital duties! We played with as many toys as we could and watched The Lion King and Alvin & the Chipmunks several times over. We were hoping to get some visitors that day, and boy, did we! Stephen's cousin, Mona, and her boyfriend were the first to arrive. I'm sure I looked like hell, but I'm guessing they didn't mind. It was a nice break to see people that knew us (the nurses were wonderful, but I'm sure you can understand what I mean) and wanted to be there for us. When something like this happens, it doesn't affect just the 4 of us, it affected everyone who loves and supports us. We understood that very quickly with all the love and support we received.
Stephen arrived shortly after they left; it was so nice to have him back with us, despite knowing that Benjamin was still home with Stephen's parents. I missed him terribly and was looking forward to seeing him later that day. We were able to meet with the neurosurgeon who described what the surgery would entail. She was going to do a procedure called an Endoscopic Third Ventriculostomy (ETV).(the actual definition!) She would drill a hole through his third ventricle. This would allow his cerebrospinal fluid (This link will give you a good definition of hydrocephalus and what CSF does for the body) to have somewhere to drain since the tumor was blocking its original path. This procedure that is the safer alternative to a shunt (What is it?). We have learned that we are incredibly lucky that he was a candidate for the ETV, as opposed to the shunt. While she was performing the surgery, she would also attempt to do a biopsy to confirm the original diagnosis, a tectal glioma. The surgery was planned for Tuesday morning, April 16, 2013.
Our next visitor that day was Ashley. She is a former volleyball player of Stephen's who lives in Boston. She and her mother are like family to us and she was kind enough to come to the hospital and spend the afternoon with Nate and I. She didn't have to spend as much time as she did and we are forever grateful.
Stephen's cousin, Steve, stopped by to see us. He was with us when we first got the news about Nathan and was instrumental in helping us get to Boston. He was in the area and brought us a bunch of cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory! What a lifesaver, in more ways than one! He also introduced us to Mother Olga (Who is Mother Olga?). This woman carries a light with her that is indescribable. She walked into the room and we just felt like, "This is going to be ok." She prayed over Nate and prayed with us. We were beyond blessed that she took the time to stay with us as much as she did.
Stephen's parents finally arrived with Benjamin. It was fantastic to see him and so hard not to cry in front of him. Good tears because I hadn't seen him since Friday morning and sad tears because he had no idea what was going on. Oh, to be so innocent. What a blessing! The boys were so happy to see each other. Benjamin wanted to hop right up on the bed! It was tough for him to understand that Nate couldn't move around a lot because of the drain.
| Ben needed Mommy's hair too! |
| Nate was so happy to see Ben! |
| Someone missed his big brother! |
| Grandpa giving Nate some love! |
What a day that was! Our room was full of visitors and full of love.
Thank you for sharing! There are so many similarities between Nate's story and William's. I look forward to reading more and learning from your experiences. Lindsay
ReplyDelete